HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! [Read more…]
1. To those who celebrate it, Merry Christmas! I hope you all have a wonderful day celebrating with friends, family, and loved ones. This morning Tommy and I will spend time opening presents with his eldest brother Joe, his wife Dawn and their family and then we’ll head over to his older sister’s house where we’ll celebrate with his entire family (brothers & sisters, their families and significant others and his parents). We’ll also do our big Secret Santa swap then. I hope the person I was assigned to likes his/her gifts. 🙂 [Read more…]
1. Half marathon training officially began on Monday – yay!!! Per my training plan on Monday I did some stretching and for strength-training I did full body lifting. This consisted of flat dumbell presses, squats, lunges, dips, and dead lifts. This morning I did a 3-mile run. I know it’s super early in the game, but I’m feeling good and am really excited training has begun. [Read more…]
1. This past weekend I went to a couple of restaurants I had never been to before.
On Friday night, my friend Nova and I met for drinks, which then turned into dinner, at 1905 on U Street. I had heard great things about 1905’s cocktails and burger. I had been trying to come here for months but something always came up (read: whoever I was doing happy hour with at the time and I decided to go to a closer bar). I finally made it! Nova and I were very happy with our cocktails and we ordered their homemade potato chips for an appetizer and their potato gnocchi to share for dinner. (I’m sorry, I didn’t take any photos. 🙁 ) [Read more…]
1. Tommy and I registered for the Salvation Army’s ‘Angel Tree‘ program yesterday. We already know what two children we are assigned to to buy Christmas presents for. We have two brothers and can’t wait to go buy their presents this weekend. As mentioned, this is one of our favorite things to do at Christmas! We love it. [Read more…]
This week’s Tuesday Tidbits is devoted to all the things I am excited to do this holiday season!
1. Our annual holiday party. Ever since we moved to D.C. in 2006 we have always hosted some kind of holiday party in December. This year is no different, though we are trying something new this year. Instead of hosting it at our place as we always have, we are renting a portion of a restaurant for our party this year. Can’t wait! [Read more…]
This week’s “Tuesday Tidbits” is devoted to the grand opening of Canal Park and the latest going-ons around the Navy Yard – Ballpark area.
1. This past weekend was the grand opening of Canal Park. Along with a ribbon – cutting ceremony on Friday, the long anticipated ice – skating rink opened to the public. Unfortunately the restaurant, The Park Tavern, that shares the same space with the rink isn’t open just yet. Though I did peak inside this weekend and it looks great. Can’t wait to eat a meal here! [Read more…]
1. Tommy and I finally went to the new Hank’s Oyster Bar on the Hill for dinner with a couple of friends on Saturday night. I have been a longtime fan of the original Hank’s in Dupont Circle and I was very excited to hear that it was expanding again to Capitol Hill. (There is also a Hank’s in Old Town Alexandria). It was packed that night, which may explain the slower service, but the food didn’t disappoint! [Read more…]
1. Today is election day!!! If you haven’t already, go vote.
2. Yesterday morning several co-workers and I went canvassing in Northern Virginia to urge people to get out and vote. I also did this in 2010 in West Virginia for the midterm elections. I always enjoy doing this every couple of years, getting out there and talking to voters, boots on the ground. I’m a cheese ball, I know. [Read more…]
1. I think the worst of Sandy has passed. We were very fortunate – everyone is safe and we didn’t lose power. I hope everyone managed to stay dry and safe last night! My heart goes out to the people in New York and New Jersey. [Read more…]