Good morning folks! As I am officially 10 weeks into breastfeeding for the second time with Luke, I thought it would be apropos to do an updated version of some breastfeeding essentials that have worked for me. You’ll see a couple of repeats from my first post a couple years ago, but that just goes to show you how wonderful and helpful they are!
The Newbies to this List:
- Nursing Cups – I found these bad boys to be extremely useful in the first few weeks of breastfeeding as my flow (amazingly and fortunately) was out of control in a good way. Once I unsnapped my nursing bra (more on that below), I would immediately start to leak milk. Sometimes this was perfect as Luke was up and ready to go, but other times he wasn’t, and I’d quickly have to cover myself with a towel or blanket. I would half joke what a shame that I was losing this “liquid gold” as new mamas know, every drop counts. Well, one of my night nurses (I’ll write a separate post on this – coming soon) suggested using these guys and it was a great addition to my arsenal of breastfeeding “tools”.
- New nursing bras – this time around with Luke, I decided to try a new nursing bra brand that I had read about on several blogs, Bravado. I bought this bra and this bra and absolutely LOVE them. They are so comfortable and give your breasts a little lift and shape as well.
- I bought a couple of nursing nightgowns that were comfortable to wear and conducive to easy access with breastfeeding several times at night. I bought a long nightgown and a long-sleeved nightgown.
- This maternity/nursing dress I bought from Gap has been a regular staple of mine. I bought it specifically for nursing Luke. I love that it doesn’t scream “nursing dress” and that I can dress it up and down.
- Nursing Pads – oh, so helpful to control leaks (when you aren’t nursing) and provide COMFORT for very sore nipples.
- Nursing tanks – these were my 24-hour uniform with Ava and Luke.
- My sweet friend Tiffany sent me a C-Section care package and this nursing tea was included with all the goodies. I drink this tea at least 3 times a week.
- I bought these darling burp cloths from Mighty Paths and really like them. Not only are they adorable, but they are the perfect size and feel (soft!) to place on your shoulder and wipe Luke’s mouth and cheeks when need be!
- A traveling breast pump is definitely handy if you travel a lot (for work and/or pleasure). I’ve already used this one I bought several times!