I must say we did a pretty good job of eating in and around Portland during our 5 day vacation! Here’s a look at our eating tour.
- While Tommy got some shuteye/relaxing time after driving us to Portland on Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, Grammy (Mama Comeau), Nana (my mom), Ava and I headed to Freeport for some light shopping (Freeport is known for it’s huge outlets) and outdoor time. After a few shops I treated everyone to a cool iced tea (it was hot!) and at the last minute decided to buy Ava a small pasta lunch at 1912 Cafe.
- For dinner we decided to order in from Gilbert’s Chowder House. Gilbert’s has been one of my Comeau/Maine family traditions. Way back when I first went to Portland to meet Tommy’s family they all took me here because Tommy had told them how much I loved seafood, particularly lobster. Gilbert’s is by no means fancy – quite the opposite actually – but the food is delicious.
- Mom had a CRAVING for steamers so she, Ava and I went back to the Old Port to try out J’s Oyster for lunch. In mom’s words “hit the spot”.
- While we didn’t eat “out” on Thursday night, it’s worth mentioning that we hosted all of Tommy’s family at our house for dinner this night. It was a casual BBQ, but boy was it all yummy. Tommy’s siblings and mom were so generous and brought delicious meats to cook, cole slaw, salad, apps, and booze to enjoy. It was the perfect night. 🙂
- We stopped at Molly’s Cupcakes ‘N’ More for a quick lunch on our way up to Naples to visit Aunt Christy. You know we are fans of Molly’s! Unfortunately, they are shutting their doors after 4 wonderful years.
- For dinner we went to the Lobster Pound in Naples. OMG. I ordered a big broiled lobster and it was so good. This place is only open for 3 months during the summer and is a hot spot. The ambiance is casual and inviting. I’d definitely like to come back here next summah!
On our way back to Portland from Baileys Island on the coast we stopped at a little seafood shack on the road for a quick lunch. So good! Tommy and I got their Haddock Sandwich, while mom got a cup of their seafood chowder. I soon discovered that Ava likes haddock!
- For dinner the whole Comeau clan headed to Danielle’s for a birthday cookout at her house!
- Mom and I did some shopping down at the Old Port before we headed home later that night. We both had some gifts to buy, so we left Tommy, Grammy, Violet, and Ava to enjoy the afternoon together. Before we headed back to Grammy’s house we stopped by Bill’s Pizza Old Port for a piece of pizza to tie us over before dinner.
- Tommy and his mom swung by another family favorite, Amato’s, for their lunch.
- While Tommy and most of his siblings were rocking out at a 311 concert on the pier at the Old Port Grammy, Christy, Nana, Ava, and I had a gals dinner at the old Macaroni Grill!
And now Tommy, mom, and I need to go on a diet. 🙂